Sunday 20 April 2008

I'm back

Just couldn't find time to blog whilst visiting my son in HongKong. He paid for me to gom out because on 13th he had a graduation ceremony for his MBA. His sister, who teaches flew out a week ago wed. too. It was so nicwe being the three of us again. It's been a long time since we were all together under one roof.however I won't blog all in one go about HK but daily in small doses.Today, I want to comment on 'Mrs Darcey's Dilemma ' by Diana Birchall.I read this as slowly as poss. to savour every minute. It is a superb novel in that it feels authentically Austen. The only part which jumped at me was when Henryis speaking on page 67 and he uses the word center. No. It would be centre.The characters spring to life in their conversations especially Lydia, who has learned nothing in the 25 years which have elapsed since the end of 'Pride and Prejudice' and her daughter bettina, who takes life one stage further by becoming an actress.
I've just lent this book to a freind but when it's back I shall read it again.
Also as a comparison read @Mr D'Arcy's Diary' Amanda Grange.Here it is a retelling of the book's events (P and P) by MR D'arcy. I did enjoy it and it has given me new ways of looking at the original. I now have a third Mr D's diary to read.I hadn't realised what an industry retelling Jane had become. I wonder why noone does the same for the Brontes or perhaps they do and I don't know. But if there is time for one book only then make it Diana's.

No comments: