Sunday 30 March 2008

oh weh

Long time since the 19th but I'm in a complete blue funk about HongKong on Thursday and can't concentrate. It has been made worse because I'm going from terminal 5.!!!!!Luckily my daughter is meeting me at Victoria and going with me to the terminal and I'm signed in for help because I'm not strong enough to manage. IT's not the flying but the getting on to plane and worry about luggage at other end.I do clearly label so should be OK.
Dear Stuck, I think your book group will enjoy 'Cold Comfort'. Almost the last thing I heard before Oneword closed was 'C.C being read and acted.That way was hilarious.
Have read one and skimmed the other and feel like the last person in UK to have read them.'We need to talk about Kevin' was one. I didn't like it and thought it was too long.Probably excellent for a book group because big themes to discuss.The other was '1000 yellow suns', a good book but the attitude to women just made my blood boil and having lived in that society in the Gulf I know that's how it can be. Although I have to say my ex isn't like that and all the girls in his second family are educated and not forced to marry. The younger two are in school and the elder has graduated in electronic engineering and works for BP in Abu Dhabi. Next one is studying architecture at the American Uni which is also where Fatima the eldest went. Fatima has opted to be Sunna although dad and the family are Shia but that is allowed. My 2 are Christians one RC like me, one High Anglican.
Read 'A certain Compass' lettice Cooper. This again is different and very moving. Incidently Stuck when you read Black B you will have a feel for my first years. This book did bring back memories.
Also read 'Daphne' and enjoyed it. I like books with intertextuality that make one want to go back and read other writers.Another light hearted read which did that was 'Edmund Bertram's diary' Amanda grange.This is the whole of 'Mansfield Park from Edmund's perspective. Now I must reread the original.
I was sorry to see that Dr Joanna Richardson has died. I've read all her books and own one or two. Her biographies and her translations were/are superb.
If you drop by for a read let me know. I'd love to greet you.

2 comments:

Justine Picardie said...

Thanks so much for the post on "Daphne". I'm really glad you enjoyed it -- and good luck with the traveling. Am just about to reply to your comment on my blog.
Justine
xxx

Viola said...

Hello Daphne,

Pleased to meet you! I'll be adding your blog to my list of favourites soon.

Best Regards,
Viola
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com