Saturday 23 February 2008

saturday catch up

here we are again. dovegreyreader left a comment for me so I'll reply here as I still have things about blogs to learn. Ilike Classic FM too particularly from 21.oo - 23.00 when they broadcast whole pieces rather than just a snippet.
this week's composer has been Verdi. It has been an interesting experience hearing excerpts from all his operas.they alos managed to use a variety of singers too. I don't always like Alagna and Georgieu but they sang a superb duet on Monday night.
Also finished listening to a 'downstair's tape' 'The Queen of Subtleties' Susannah Dunn. It's narrated alternately by Anne Bolegn and Lucy Cornwallis, her maker of confectionery.So we have Anne's views of everything. She has started her narration the night before her execution and meditates on her life. Lucy gives us the outsider's opinion on events.I thought 'subtlety' was a comment on her nature but in fact it's a creation in sugar. Lucy had to make something nearly every day. What struck me most was the constant moving around of the entire court and wherever they stayed so much building etc went on. it must have cost the owners of castles etc a fortune and it is evident that the king never gave this aspect of his affairs a thought.I tend to choose audio books which I wouldn't normally read this widens my experience of books.
Finished a book which has really unnerved me'the crystal Skull' by Manda Scott. This is very different from her previous thrillers and from her Boudicca tetrology. It is based on Mayan prophecies and researches into prediction by numbers It seems the Mayans thought that on 21st December 2012 the earth would either come to an end or be saved. I'd have dismissed it all as a good story were it not that there is a bibliography and it's not a device.The one review I've seen of this book was very scathing and I feel unjust. It is a good story and it is well written but Had I known it would worry me, I wouldn't have read it.
I am perverse though because I tried to read a book with brilliant comments 'Imperium' Ryzard kapuscinski butwas so bored i gave up. I used to always persevere to the end of a book but time is too precious now to do that so I do just give up.
Apparently music can cause improvement in 60% of stroke cases whereas reading a book only improves 18% of people.I hope I never find out for myself which works best.
My New Books Mag arrived this week. It's a complete treat.Interviews with writers and extracts from books. This are good because one has a better idea of what the books are like. sometimes I reserve a book from the library and then buy it when it is out in paperback especially if it's an expensive book.
The Russian Challenge goes apiece. I've broadened it to include anything Russian rather than just Russian authors. My 'upstairs' audiotape is about some seemstresses being summoned to russia by the Empress Catherine.I haven't got very far but how travel was in those days is fascinating.They travelled by horse-drawn coaches.Often other people joined them so that they would have a safe journey. even little braziers were put on board to keep warm. But it must have been really hard. They'd all read the books they brought ages before they reached ST Petersburg.
I don't own anything by Bulgakov but I do want my own copy of the 'White Guard'. it is the one I've enjoyed most. I didn't finish it so that I'd have something left to read when I get my copy. Hopefully I can find a second hand copy.

1 comment:

dovegreyreader said...

Daphne I did discover that composer in the end, trawled back through the playlists and it was a cello concerto by a chap from Durham called John Garth.I've had radio 3 on while I've been out doing my home visits this week and a notebook alongside and the best of this week was Slaughter on Tenth Ave by Richard Rodgers, had to sit in my car and wait for it to finish!