Thursday 28 February 2008

2007 best reads

This was a difficult task.i read 264 books last year. As I'm not in the best of health I have to pace myself so read alot but I also knit and embroider.Anyway to task:
1) Fire in the Blood-Irene Nemirovski.
2)In My father's House -Miranda seymour.
3)13th Tale-Diane satterwaite.
4)The web of Belonging- Stevie davies.
5)the Taste of Dreams:An obsession with russia-Vanora Bennett.
6)Cliffs of fall-Shirley hazzard.
7)salmon fishing in the Yeman-Paul torday.
8)The Last Templar-Tom Harper.
9)Still Life-Louise Penny.
10)The Snake Stones-Steven Goodwin.
These are all different genres and I didn't include any Classics here.The Nemirovski doesn't really have a plot but it is beautifully written although I should say translated. I must try to get it in French. I'm going to buy my own copy when it's out in paperback.
I've reviewed 2 books for Ellie at Hesperus press. I do love their books. They are like little art works. The covers reflect the contents. I love the print type and the paper is such good quality. I can't imagine them foxing or going totally brown. Some of my books begin to discolour really fast.it's a pity the Publishers here do not use the quality of paper that American Paperbacks do.
i'm enjoying blogging so shall keep this blog going. It would be nice if more people visited it.
Dovegrey reply; So glad you found the music. Do you listen to composer of the week?Radio 3 am and pm.

2 comments:

StuckInABook said...

You read 264 books last year, Daphne! Wow! That's three times what I read, and then some. I haven't read any of your top ten, in fact I've only heard of two of them, so lots of gems to lookout for...
Simon

dovegreyreader said...

I need some concerted time at home to get to grips with Radio 3 Daphne. I've started listening to it on the car radio as I drive around my home visits at work but there seems to be a lot of modern classical which drives me batty at the best of times and so I switch it off fast.Tell me when I should listen and to what and I will!
That's a phenomenal reading total and must have been so tough to choose favourites, I'm with you on the Hesperus books, they are little treasures.