Sunday 3 February 2008

sunday

here we are again. i was so tired yesterday that i didn't blog. My friend has been really ill and I've helping her by walking her dog etc but I've an open wound on my back because I have a psoas abscess and i also have 3 kinds of arthritis so anything out of my routine wears me out.How feeble is that?
I was so pleased to hear from Stuck, Mary and Harriet especially as I know you/they are very busy people. I really must read emails everyday because otherwise there are too many and I don't have time or rather energy to read blogs which I love.
I've had a real treat; Randomdr.has given me a subscription to New Books. I love reading about books too.I also could have put a life in Art and languages as my title because they are also things, which interest me.I'm just trying to learn Mandarin and Modern Greek. I've studied Classical Greek for 6 years. I wanted to take it at school but there were only 3 of us. They would have done it for4. I did Latin to A level because to do a degree in either History or English one had to have A level Latin. There were only 3 of us who took it. Until I got this abscess 3 years ago, I went to City-Lit and did my Greek and also Latin. Alas now I study on my own. It's why I love Mary Beard's blog because I learn so much about the Classical World not just from her but also from the comments.
Have had a silly experience. I ordered a book from the library which was entitled "Short Stories of Bulgakov so I ordered it. the only English in it is the introduction rest is Russian. Ever been had!!!
I shall write more tomorrow. have run out of steam now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll enjoy newbooks Daphne and you could offer to review for them and get free books too!

harriet said...

Well Daphne you are a pretty amazing woman and no mistake. Not many people with your various aches and pains would take on dog walking and as for studying Greek and Latin on your own... Just try not to take on Russian as well, though I can imagine you getting tempted.

harriet said...

Well Daphne you are a pretty amazing woman and no mistake. Not many people with your various aches and pains would take on dog walking and as for studying Greek and Latin on your own... Just try not to take on Russian as well, though I can imagine you getting tempted.