Monday 7 July 2008

Monday musings2

Once again missed Sunday but like last week I had a very bad day and it's all I can do to stay alive when I feel so low. I think I had done too much for three weeks and that set it off. It's on the wane but not completely gone but that is also because of the weather. It's so wet and cold but I refuse to put heating on in JULY.
Have found a good new thriller writer called Elizabeth Corley. I read 'Requiem Mass' liked it so much I 've orderede more from the library. Crawley Library is amazing. I no sooner think of a book order it than it's there. I collected 9 books today most only ordered last week.
Also finished 'A Dangerous Liaison:Beauvoir and Sartre' Carole Seymour-Jones.Not only did I learn nothing new. I've read everything available on these two but it wasn't a patch on Deidre Bair. I know Seymour-Jones was dealing with both of them and I feel that that is probably what didn't work since they were both larger than life. They also have become their own legend.This book possibly had more about sex in it and very little about the works.Sad to say neither B or S seemed to have any moral sense whatsoever. I also feel that some of this is because really neither one grew up. One must at some stage in life consider others and the effect one might be having.
As a counter balance I read 2 brilliant crime through time novels by Ariana Franklin. The first 'Mistress of the Art of Death' was set in 1261 and is based round a Dr from Salerno, who has studied forensic science. the surprise is that she is a woman. Henry 11 is so thrilled with her that he won't let her go home and the second book 'Death Maze' is her next adventure, trying to prove who killed Rosamund Clifford and whether it was really Eleonor.
a translated thriller was 'The man with the lead stomach ' Jean-Francois Parot. This was good but I think would have been even better in French. Problem is it's hard to get up to date foreign language books from the library and they're expensive to buy.I'm saving for a couple of german books I'd like but they are both £12 although paper back.
These books brought my book diary to its last page. I began this one in 05. the new one is a Persephone notebook. Only snag is that it doesn't easily open wide but the paper is lovely. I use fountain pen for most of my writings.
Wednesday I'm off by nat.Express to my cousin's near Ipswich. I only have to take books for the journey because they have loads and I always find ones I haven't read. It's almost the only place other than my daughter's where this is the case.I have an hour's wait in Cambridge and in the autumn there was no shelter for this change of buses so I hope it doesn't rain and if it does that the red of my luggage doesn't turn all my clothes pink.
I'll see if I have time to write my blog from there . I shall write tomorrow if I finish some bits I'm reading. Oh yes, last week in the Brighton heart Shop I saw a book of Colette's stories but duidn't have the cash, I hope it's still there tomorrow because it's mine.

No comments: