Sunday 20 July 2008

sunday salon

here we are again. what happens to the days between sunday and Sunday? Never have I known time to go so fast. i have heard some wonderful music this week on Classic FM. At 21.00 they play whole works. I especially enjoyed a symphony by Bizet which I'd never heard before. I tried to listen to the 'Proms' but didn't enjoy either Friday or Sat. I also think there are far better violinists than Kennedy.
read the 10th book in the Matthew Hervey series 'warrior' Alan Mallison.It is an interesting book but I can't get enthralled by Africa. this book is set during one of the first skirmishes with the the Zulus. I much prefer the books where Hervey is in India or Europe.
Have discovered a new thriller writer Elisabeth Corley and have her books from the library.She has sound plots, her characters develop and her writing style is elegant.
Also had and email from a publisher whom I'd emailed but never heard from. i do hope I have some books from them. these smaller publishers produce beautiful books. Hesperus books are an aesthetic joy.They also have a new series of Brief Lives and I have just finished Chekov for the 3rd time. It might be brief but there is so much in it. I hope to receive some more in this series. what is amazing is that not just the life has been discussed but the works too. I used not to enjoy short stories but since I began reading Mansfield and Chekov the genre has 'grown on me'.
This week randonj has been busy arranging a trip for three of us to Haworth in Sept.As a consequence I'm rereading both Juliet Barker books. Also reading about the Borgias to go with a crime through time I read and the Medicis because I have the biography of Isabella de Medici to review.
treated myself to a video of 'Sharpe's seige ' to go with the one's I have. 75p is all it cost.I know the series is on DVD but the cheapest I've seen was over a hundred pounds and when I finally have all the videos they will have cost me about £20 including postage.
Most od weather here today alternating between sun shining and dark clouds like imminent rain. There is also a cold wind. I love summers like this because Heat and I don't have a rapport. I swell and every part of me hurts, as well as a permanent headache. I could be the only person writing who often has 'seasonal affective disorder' in the summer.
Hope to be back tomorrow here. next weekend I shall be reporting on Liverpool and the Klimpt
Exhibition at the Tate there. I'm going with my daughter, a Deputy Head at a school in London. she breakas up on Wed. This is the first time we've done anything like this together and I'm really looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know! Where do those pesky six days between go? The mini bio books sound really interesting. Are they a UK only thing?

StuckInABook said...

I've been meaning to read some Hesperus Brief Lives - in fact, you've spurred me on to email them...