Saturday 13 September 2008

satuday catch up continued

Something went very wrong, my post disappeared and came back as a draft. I didn't know how to publish so cut and pasted now I don't think it's all there. I was talking about my conspiracy theory relating to new computers. Most people seem to have to replace modems and printers too.
Now I'll just write alittle about books and write tomorrow. I'm in a state of shock at my mising post. i think the bit where I thanked treva has vanished too. i'm such a slow typist I can't begin again,
have just read 'Caesar's Triumph' by Stephen saylor.This is about a conspiracy to assassinate him during a triumph. These were several :the one most written about was to celebrate the return from Gaul. a triumph was rather like a huge parade containing soldiers and slaves ie those captured and the material spoils of war.Mary Beard has written a wonderful book about Triumphs which I shall be blogging about soon. If you remember Shakespeare depicts a triumph in 'Julius Caesar' and it is this which makes those who later killed him begin to plot because he was becoming so imperial and they feared the end of the republic.Saylor has his characters discuss this too.
a complete contrast is the reading I have in the meditation room (also known as the loo)Here I've been reading Victoria Holt. Alas I've now read all those I've managed to find. Holt was also Jean Plaidy and Philippa carr. Each alter ego wrote a different type of book. I'd forgotten how well she wrote. They are not literature but they have good plots and strong characters. The one I have just finished called 'The House of the thousand Lanterns' contains many details about late 19thc HongKOng and about Chinese artefacts and Chinese customs.sometimes we need books that just take us away from our own worlds and worries.

No comments: