Monday 15 September 2008

Monday musings 3

I just had to blog about Maestro. i only began watching because my Bro and sis in law did and then I was hooked. goldie was amazing but Sue perkins could be a professional conductor. i was disappointed when they were talking about women conductors that no one mentioned Janet canetty-Clark who conducts a choir in Burgess Hill and I believe the brighton festival choir. But she conducted a choir in Vienna long before there were other women. she is also a brilliant lecturer and knows so much about music and can convey it all to the novice as indeed can Pauline greene who lectures at Birkbeck and has worked with Janet.
Sue conducted before 30000 in the park as if she always does this and brought new meaning from the Elgar. i also liked the way she conducted Lesley Garrett.
have been running around to day collecting my ticket for thursday. I bought on line but had to go to Redhill to pick up. In Smiths I spotted Mary Beard's latest book 'Pompeii'. I want it but don't know if I shall be able to afford it. i'd like to write about it here because it's so exciting.( You can see I didn't just look!!). I don't know where she finds time, energy or stamina to research, lecture, write and run a family. Then she writes a blog always once a week and sometimes more and they're longer thananything I've yet written.
By the end of next week I shall be able to scan photos in to my blog because random is giving me the means to do this.More technology for my aged brain to master haha.

1 comment:

Can Bass 1 said...

I too, admired the way she conducted Lesley Garrett - by the simple expedient of... conducting her. The girl's out of control, you know.