Monday 3 March 2008

Monday musings

well here we are again.Mis timed yesterday so didn't do my Sunday salon blog.I wonder how I went to work since this is laughingly called retirement.however, i know I'm really lucky to have so many interests and so many friends.
On saturday, i heard verdi's Otello from the Met. it was so well sung I had permanent goose bumps.
Also finished the book ,which I have had to read in the meditation room(loo)This was 'The Rise of Venus'Sarah Dunant.i really enjoyed this. I liked learning about the art and also she has brought Savonarola vividly to life and makes one feel how awful life became in Florence under his sway.Current read is 'Cold Comfort Farm'stella Gibbons. I haven't read much but it is funny. Flora has an uncle in Scotland whose man servant is called 'Hoots'.I have also noticed how anti-semitic books before the 40's are.flora's friend sees a new brassiere(she collects them)in the 'Jew-shop'.Hopefully noone would write like that now.
Also have a continuous read going on of the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Along side I'm reading Patrick O'Brian so that I have navy and army.Then i read about the period in non-fiction. The novels bring to life the history.Although they are violent because war is they are not like the latest Linda Fairstein 'Killer Heat'.
Why do writers now have to create such unpleasant murder scenarios?I so appreciate earlier detective writers after struggling with rape, cut up bodies etc.I shall give Fairstein a miss in future I think.
So many bloggers raved about 'Dora damage' I ordered it from the library but I was really bored by it. I liked learning about binding but there was so much and I found it really talented to write a book that reads like a Victorian Novel but it actually didn't do much for me.
This has taken ages because I'm a slow typer 'getting faster/ When i was in the lower 6th some of us our headmistress if we could go to the Tec with the one year sixth and learn typing well she went off like a rocket.'why would clever girls want to type/'. pity she had no crystal ball that would show her computing. Modern 5 year olds learn it now.Must go now and answer my e-mails.

1 comment:

Viola said...

I absolutely agree with you about gruesome mysteries. I like the 'cosy' ones too. Like you, I mostly prefer the vintage ones.

Best,
Viola
www.bookaddiction.blogspot.com