Monday 10 March 2008

Monday

Monday again and I missed the Sunday salon again too busy reading others'blogs. I'm immensely chuffed because I have two reviews in the Hesperus Magazine. I read them and thought 'I didn't write these' so looked in my notebook and I did. They seem different somehow when published.Shall be doing another one because I ordered Eggs by BUlgakov from the library, took it off the library TBR pile and thought this is beautiful might be Hesperus, looked again and it was. The cover is distinctive and the paper so nice. I can't imagine them going brown. I'm reading an old Pan Storm Jameson and the pages are all brown.
Today's weather is the kind to batten down the hatches and read so that is what I shall do after I've written to the lovely man at Pimlico who sent me Charles Freeman's 381. I have all of Charles books so shall be blogging about them over the course of this year. Also have Diana Birchall's D'arcy to read. How people , who don't read use their time I can't imagine. In my Express today their is a wonderful poem about reading. Here it is:A Book by Emily DIckinson'
He ate and drank the
precious words,
His Spirit grew robust;
He knew no morethat
he was poor,
Nor that his frame
was dust.
He danced along the
dingy days,And this bequest of wings
was but a book.
What liberty
A loosened spirit brings.

Says it all about reading. Whilst typing this I've been listening to yesterday's classic serial on radio 4.'Mr Standfast'. I do so like John Buchan and especially Richard Hannay.
When I can't concentrate I read Susan Lewis, who writes well but not intelectually. Yesterday I read a memoir called 'Just one more day' about her as achild and her mother's death from breast cancer.It made me realise how far cancer treatment has come since the 60's.Her mother just had a mastectomy and massive doses of radium. I can't help but think that today she'd still be alive and there was no such thing as reconstruction. I hope Susan will write about her life after this. I long to know if she passed her 11+ and how she became a writer. I must see if she has a site on line.

1 comment:

StuckInABook said...

I've never read any Storm Jameson, though have been meaning to for a while... which would you recommend, Daphne?